Chronicling the cleanup and restoration of our house and property in northern Michigan

Chronicling the cleanup and restoration of our house and property in northern Michigan
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Heading Up Next Week!

We're finally heading back up to Shangri La.  It'll be about two months since our last visit, and for me it's loooong overdue.  I'm really missing it.  The more we go up there, the more like a home it becomes.  It occurred to me that my mood about not being up there in so long is a bit over the top, and I really couldn't figure out what to attribute it to.  It just occurred to me that I've felt like this before, whenever traveling for work.  DUDE!  I'M HOMESICK!  That's seriously messed up.  We have a beautiful home in Ohio.  We have great neighbors that look out for us.  We have a number of close friends, and are involved in the community.We're extremely happy!  So, why is it that I'm pining away for that little place in Ocqueoc? 

We're eventually going to move up there, but that's not going to happen for a while.  We need to get Kyle through high school, and figure out what he's doing for college.  Then, unless I win at Lotto, I'll need to find work up there.  I need to cool my jets, and just look forward to and enjoy the visits up there.  The time until when we're moving up there will pass quickly enough.  Cool my jets...yeah...that's what I need to do...

This trip is going to be a bit different, and special.  Our very good friends Bob & Melanie are making the trip with us.  They will be the first of our friends to see Shangri La.  We're going to head out on Thursday and stay through to Sunday.  I have a few things that I want to get done while there, but we really want to have a good time with Bob & Mel while they're there with us.  We're going to show them the area, and probably do some geocaching.  

We were given a sofa bed that'll be making the trip up, and will likely be going in the spare bedroom.  The futon currently in there we'll take apart and store, for eventual set up in the basement once we get it livable.  Because we'll be there on a week day I want to take advantage of the land fill being open.  We have a bunch of "stuff" in the basement that needs to go, so I want to haul off a trailer full.  One other item on the list is to flush out the hot water heater.  When we replaced the toilet wax ring the last time up I removed about an inch deep of sediment from the toilet tank.  It's well water, so I guess that's to be expected...right?  It got me to thinking about the hot water heater, and how much sediment might be sitting in the bottom of it.  Considering how quickly we're running out of hot water, I've got a feeling it's going to be quite a bit.  So, I'm going to hit the Ace Hardware in Rogers City and buy some clear hose and some fittings, to run a drainage hose to run to floor drain.  I want to get clear hose so that I can see what's coming out, and when it's coming out clear.

As usual, I'll report back here with our progress and post pics.  Talk to you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!